You may qualify for a special enrollment period, which is a specific time frame outside of the open enrollment period when individuals and families can enroll in a health insurance plan. To qualify for a special enrollment period, you must have a qualifying life event or a significant change to your life that affects your health insurance needs. Most of these special enrollment periods are 60 days from your qualifying life event. Some of these qualifying life events include:
1. Losing health coverage: You may qualify for a special enrollment period if you lose coverage with your employer or group health plan due to job loss. You may also qualify if you age off your parent’s health insurance plan (age 26), or other reasons.
2. Losing Medi-Cal coverage: If you lose eligibility through Medi-Cal for reasons such as your income being above the financial threshold, you may qualify for a special enrollment period.
3. Moving to a new area: If you permanently move into or within California , you may qualify for enrollment outside of the open enrollment period.
4. Marriage or divorce: You may be eligible for enrollment through a special enrollment period due to this change in your legal marital status.
5. Having a baby, adopting a child, or beginning to foster a child: This change in your family household means you would qualify for a special enrollment period.
6. Changes to your COBRA: Your COBRA coverage ends, or you stop receiving government subsidies or employer contributions for your COBRA coverage. Note: Not paying your COBRA premium is not considered loss of coverage.
7. Affected by wildfires or other publicly declared state of emergency
Please note this list may change at any time. In addition, qualifying life events differ depending if you are seeking enrollment on a plan directly with a health insurance company, versus enrollment on a plan through Covered California.
How we can help:
If you want to know whether or not your qualifying life event qualifies you for a special enrollment period, feel free to reach out to us (626)399-7082. We are here to help answer your questions and get you covered!